Published on 18 Aug 2019. Written by Meghna Adhikary
This article covers topics like how you can build a successful career in computer vision. It is a technology that you can learn to develop experience in the field of information technology. In this article, we have covered the topics including the scope of computer vision, skills required for a successful career in computer vision and also relevant skills that you can imbibe and how you can imbibe those skills are mentioned.
A good way to gain experience in computer vision is to develop practical skills by developing projects.
We at Skyfi Labs developed a dedicated career-building course on computer vision. As part of this course, you will develop multiple projects related to computer vision. It provides you all the required skills and experience for your career in computer vision.
Computer vision also abbreviated as CV, is a field of study which develops various techniques to make the computers “see” and understand the digital images such as photographs and videos. It is a process of making the computer more sensitive and capable of recognizing objects nearby to provide proper outputs. It is a step forward to implant human intelligence into the machine. It is generally a difficult task to implement but with the help of artificial intelligence emerging progressively, it has become a little easy. The task is to make the computer interpret what it sees and perform a certain task or analyze it.
Computer vision’s main objective is not just to recognize but also to process and act according to the observation. For instance, a car with a proper Computer vision can identify various objects on the road while driving. These objects include traffic lights, signs, pedestrians, etc. and acts accordingly. With an intelligent device abled with Computer vision can even instruct the driver in specific directions or even stop the car in case of any abnormality found internally or externally.
Computer vision can be further classified into broad steps:
Some of the common examples of Computer vision which we can see in our daily lives are:
Now as we know what Computer vision actually is, let's see how it works. These are the simple steps that are followed to implement intelligence to the computer:
If we see 20 years down the line, Computer vision will become a commodity component inevitable in any kind of consumer durable product. Application-specific analytics and intelligence will also get added to the devices including visual, audio, textual, numerical and sensor analytics.
The government and corporates are also indulging in this field which in turn, helps the industry to a greater extent. Future systems will contain application-specific mixtures of Neural Computing, CPUs, GPUs, sensor processors, and Input-Output.
Imaging devices will become more precise with the help of more powerful on-chip processing for image processing and analytics.
With more individuals being attracted to the possibility of Artificial Intelligence, individuals are presently observing a prospective professional in the field of AI. That being said, the extent of artificial intelligence in India is entirely huge as a definitive point is to make computer programs that can handle various issues and provide goal-oriented solutions efficiently. Thus, there is a scope for computer vision, game development, speech recognition, robotics, and language detection.
4. Computer Vision knowledge: The basics of Computer vision are built on digital image processing. Hence one of the main skills needed to build a career in Computer vision is to learn the basics of Digital Image Processing. Henceforth one can move to pattern recognition and 3D geometry. Linear algebra is also a basic skill needed, like dimensionality reduction. Deep learning in CNN (Convolutional Neural Networks) can also be looked upon in the field of Computer vision.
5. Computer vision Tools: One should also look out to some of the tools widely used in the field of Computer vision. Tools like OpenCV, Matlab, CUDA, SimpleCv, GPU image, etc.
6. Machine Learning: Computer vision mainly means to teach the computer using the data. For this to happen one should himself know how to train the computer. You should learn some basic machine learning algorithms and understand its functionality in the field of computer vision.
Some of the keywords one should know which are constantly being used in the industry are SIFT, HOG, Viola-Jones, Shape Contexts and Deformable Part Models.
Till now we have discussed what Computer vision is and what all the skills required to build a successful career in computer vision. But the real task starts here, how to develop all these skills. Learning will never stop. Keep learning new things every day. Computer Vision is a field that is evolving day by day. One should keep up with what is actually happening in the industry.
Initially, to gain the basic knowledge of Computer vision and programming, one should read books related to Computer vision and practice them as much as possible. Knowing Python would definitely provide you an edge over the others. But practicing specific Python programs would definitely help increase your processing speed and thinking capability. Some of the recommended books are:
For being a Computer Vision engineer, one should have a Bachelor’s degree in Engineering (B.E/B.Tech.), preferably in Computer Science or related fields. Bachelors in Science (B.Sc.) in Computer Science or related fields can also help you build a career in Computer vision. Because of immense competitions and lesser intake in the companies, having some prior experience will give you an edge over the others to get into your dream company.
After gaining knowledge from the books, work on some side projects available online and you can also indulge with the smaller firms or startups working on Computer vision to get the exposure of the technology.
The internet has a wide range of platforms from which you can learn CV and practice it yourself with the help of the online courses. These courses generally charge a nominal fee and you can get all the tutorials, subject matter, and projects to work on. You can find such courses on Skyfi Labs.
We at Skyfi labs have developed a career building course, on Computer vision. Through this course, you will learn the concepts of Computer vision from scratch and building it further with advance learnings and developing practical projects. It will help you in measuring your growth and will support you by strengthening your skills. This course will give you enough exposure and experience in the field of Computer Vision.
This course will go step by step through various projects as follows:
1. Computer vision-based mouse: In this computer vision project, you will make a program to control the cursor using the object tracking algorithm. As part of this computer vision project, you will learn Image processing algorithms, Image thresholding, Canny edge detection, and object tracking.
2. Surveillance camera: In this computer vision project you will use Raspberry Pi a small card-sized computer, as the brain and program it to transmit the captured video as live footages. You will learn Matplotlib, Raspberry Pi architecture, and python programming.
3. Surveillance robot: As part of this computer vision project you will build a surveillance robot that uses Raspberry Pi as a microcontroller and transmits live footage over the internet. You will also learn robot’s locomotion, working of DC motors & motor driver circuit, and Raspberry Pi Architecture and its programming.
4. Computer vision-based smart selfie: In this computer vision project, you will make a program that automatically takes a picture when you smile. It uses facial feature recognition algorithm to perform the above task. You will also learn about face recognition, facial feature recognition, and Dlib C++ library.
All these projects will help you gain knowledge in computer vision. Remember, if you are very passionate about having a career in Compute vision, you can start now by taking a computer vision career building course.
We at Skyfi Labs will be super happy to help you land on your dream Computer vision job. The advantage of this career-building course is that you can learn these projects anytime anywhere.
Enroll now for the Career building course on Computer Vision by clicking the link below.
Now as we know what Computer Vision is all about. We have seen what all skills and educational qualification are required to get into this field. We have also touched upon how one should go about to develop the required skills.
Hope, this article is of some use to you.
We wish you all the very best for your Computer Vision career.
For any queries, feel free to comment below or visit our official website. Our expert will get back to you shortly.
Kits shipped in 24 hours. Build using online tutorials