Still, Augmented reality is being a mystery for techies and developers and they are exploring it to develop more successful innovations out of it. Even most of us not aware of this technology until Pokemon Go showed the capabilities of AR. Thus learning this technology at the initial stage of development will help you to develop a successful career.
If you are a beginner trying to understand AR and VR technology, this article explains everything from basics and also gives you an idea to build a career in augmented reality.
Have you checked out our projects on Augmented Reality yet?
Augmented Reality Kit will be shipped to you and you can build using tutorials. You can start with a free demo today!
Let’s start from scratch!
Augmented reality is a technology that imposes the virtual elements in the real world by projecting virtual objects over a surface or object. With the easy availability of smartphones, this technology gained popularity and made industries to develop more augmented reality applications to provide a better user experience for their customers.
AR technology is used to create applications for platforms like shopping, gaming, long-distance education, military and space training, surgical training and many more. Below are some famous AR mobile applications:
Want to develop practical skills on Augmented Reality? Checkout our latest projects and start learning for free
The wide range of applications of Augmented Reality has grabbed the attention of tech giants to develop more innovative products. For example, Microsoft developed Hololens headset to solve real-world problems using intelligent apps. Even Google and Apple started investing in this technology.
As previously mentioned, augmented reality has huge potential in fields like tourism, healthcare, real estate, retail, marketing, manufacturing etc. and this is going to expand more in the coming years. Thus AR has an ocean of opportunities and it is all in your hands whether you are going to use those opportunities to develop your career.
Skyfi Labs helps students learn practical skills by building real-world projects.
You can enrol with friends and receive kits at your doorstep
You can learn from experts, build working projects, showcase skills to the world and grab the best jobs.
Get started today!
I hope now you have understood the potential of Augmented reality but how to start a career in AR.
It is advised to start with a college degree from arts/design/science/engineering background. Also, you don’t need to have a degree in computer science or IT as a major but having degree from such backgrounds will help you to understand the basics.
If you want to work on the software part of AR like developing apps, creating content ideas, etc. you should have strong soft skills. Or you want to work on the hardware side like developing circuits and sensors for AR/VR wearables you should be well versed in embedded systems.
Since AR is so new there are no proper certifications thus employers will look into your skillset rather than your degree. Thus developing hands-on skills on AR and VR technology help you to land in your dream job.
If you are planning to add your resume with AR skillset, here are some skills that you should focus on:
1. Augmented reality SDK: Working knowledge in SDKs like Vuforia, Apple ARkit, Maxst, ARToolkit, etc. will help you to develop various AR applications.
2. Programming skills: According to a recent survey, most of the AR applications are developed with the help of JAVA, C#, C, and C++. Thus upgrading your programming skills will make you a qualified AR developer.
3. Good command over UI/UX: Role of UI/UX is very important in developing the AR application as AR/VR applications superimpose real images with 3D images, videos and backgrounds.
4. Knowledge of 3D gaming engine: Strong working skills on the 3D game engine will help you to create characters and images for the AR application. Hands-on knowledge in any of the following applications - UnReal engine, MAYA, Unity, LibGDX, etc. will be sufficient to become a pro-AR app developer.
5. App development platforms: Since Augmented reality technology is widely used in mobile. Knowledge of mobile app development software like Android studio, Flutter, Eclipse, etc. will make you an allrounder in AR app development.
Following are some of the positions that you will be handling in the Augmented reality career:
With the wide availability of online resources, you can learn augmented reality just by chilling in your home through online courses. Below are such online courses on Augmented reality conducted by industrial experts in live online classes.
1. Augmented reality for beginners: This AR online course is for beginners, you will understand the concepts of AR, VR, MR from basics and their real-time application. As part of this online course, you will develop projects like Vuforia cloud recognition, smart business card. You will also learn the basics of game development and develop a small game at the end of the course.
2. Game development using AR: In this AR course, you will learn the concepts of game development from basics and also learn some advanced concepts like pose estimation, dynamic mapping and creating scene and terrain for the game. You will learn to work with industrial-grade software like Unity and Vuforia.
3. Game development with unity: As part of this course, you will understand the various game components, levels, lives, building scenes, etc. You will use C# to control the game characters, enemies and various other characters. Finally, you will learn to publish your game on Playstore and Facebook.
Hope now you understand what it takes to secure a spot in the AR development field and what you need to do to get there. Stay focused and learn the AR concepts to develop a fruitful career as AR developer.
Stay up-to-date and build projects on latest technologies