This article introduces the students of mechanical engineering to some of the most helpful online courses on CFD. The dynamic field of CFD has several advantages and applications in today’s world. And anyone familiar with CFD and the software linked with it enjoys a huge advantage in the job market. Therefore, we have listed some of the best CFD mini projects available online which can help mechanical engineering students to build their future.
Have you checked out our projects on ANSYS yet?
ANSYS Kit will be shipped to you and you can build using tutorials. You can start with a free demo today!
Computational Fluid Dynamics or CFD is the study of fluid motion and heat transfer. It includes understanding fluid flow with respect to its physical attributes like velocity, pressure, temperature and intensity. The study is conducted using a mathematical model, which varies according to the content of the problem at hand. The model generates quantitative predictions and makes a simulation of complex flow phenomena possible. The application of CFD requires mathematical, computational and engineering skills. Thus, CFD mini projects for mechanical engineers are in abundance.
There are many advantages of knowing CFD, especially for mechanical engineering students. Some of these benefits are listed below.
Want to develop practical skills on ANSYS? Checkout our latest projects and start learning for free
Mechanical CFD projects have become popular in many industries because it is cost-effective and convenient to use. Some places which make use of CFD are:
Skyfi Labs helps students learn practical skills by building real-world projects.
You can enrol with friends and receive kits at your doorstep
You can learn from experts, build working projects, showcase skills to the world and grab the best jobs.
Get started today!
ANSYS is a well-renowned software that makes the application of CFD simpler. The software makes use of CFD to create simulations of models, which reduces the time spent on conducting separate physical experiments. ANSYS allows its users to tailor the simulations according to each product that is being tested. The ease with which it can be used to create new models and make improvements in existing designs makes it superior to its competitors. And it is one of the foremost software used in mechanical CFD projects.
If you’re struggling to find time to learn CFD on your own, you have come to the right place. Online CFD courses offer much flexibility and are quite affordable. Listed below are some of the most popular CFD online courses embedded with best mini projects.
1. CFD Using ANSYS Fluent: ANSYS Fluent is a vast tool, which is why there are courses with varying levels of difficulty available. If you are a newcomer to the field of CFD, you can opt for the starter course. The starter course will familiarize you with the concepts of FEA, FEM, Boundary Conditions and meshing. These concepts form the basis of understanding CFD with respect to ANSYS Fluent. You will also learn how to analyze the flow of fluids through different mediums. More advanced courses will introduce you to preprocessing tools like SpaceClaim and Mesher and allow you to solve more complex problems. Using all the above concepts you will develop various CFD mini-projects as part of this course.
2. Mercury Vortex Engines: Aeronautics makes extensive use of CFD. This CFD mini project will allow you to understand how heat exchanger coils cause the aircraft to rise into the air. CFD will help you understand the functioning of the engine and why it behaves the way it does.
3. Flow Analysis Over a Cylinder Using ICEM CFD: ICEM provides the user with geometric tools for pre-processing, and mesh generation and optimization. You can use one meshing assembly to combine components from different formats. This mini project will teach you the application of CFD in the fields of heat transmission and reactions for industrial applications.
4. CFD Analysis of a Car: Optimizing the process of fuel consumption by a car can improve the car’s performance and prove to be beneficial for the environment. This CFD project will allow you to understand the various factors that determine the performance of a car. You will also learn to identify the impact of various external forces on the movement of the car. You will aim to minimize the impact of the drag force on the vehicle to increase its efficiency.
5. Particle Analysis in an Hourglass: CFD will allow you to understand why the flow of the sand particles always takes the same amount of time. In this CFD mini project for mechanical engineers, you’ll learn why the time taken for the sand particles to travel from one end of the hourglass to the other is so precise. You will use the SimScale simulation platform to predict the linear velocity of the particles.
For more CFD mini-projects check out the following list:
Skyfi Labs offers some of the best project based online courses which can help you get a good understanding of CFD. These user-friendly CFD mini projects are designed in such a manner that they are easy to comprehend. The best part is that you can access these courses at any time as per your convenience. CFD is a skill that can definitely boost your résumé as a mechanical engineer and give you an edge over your peers.
Stay up-to-date and build projects on latest technologies