Many times, technology has been successful in its very mission; to have introduced us with new standards, to have raised economic growth and to have promoted urbanisation in possibly many sectors. Today, whatever we find around us is an outcome of technology, be it transportation, roadways, electronics, infrastructure or any other field that you can think of. Which once seemed to be just an idea, has now taken place in reality and definitely now holds the credit for improving our lives. To begin with, let’s consider a small idea that brought an immense transformation in the world, the invention of mobile phones. Well, it may be as small as the size of a matchbox, but it is capable of performing some outstanding functions. Communication with people of outside nations when in those earlier times was a challenge is now a mere ‘click’ away. Similar has been the impact of several other technologies that are a boon for mankind today.
Development, as they all say, goes hand in hand with technology. More the technologies entering, higher is the development. Keeping in mind this fact, this article focuses on how using technology, a city grows and learns to expand in every dimension possible and thereby to provide services to its residents more efficiently. Concepts like smart city, its applications and capstone projects that you can build related to it will be discussed in this article.
Have you checked out our projects on Smart City yet?
Smart City Kit will be shipped to you and you can build using tutorials. You can start with a free demo today!
Furthermore, this article brings some extremely smart city-based projects that you will enjoy to be a part of.
So, let’s get started.
Well, a smart city doesn’t have any fixed word combination but it can be generalized to understand what its behaviour is. A smart city, casually speaking is a compassed area that involves the use of technology, now mainly IoT (Internet of Things) sensors to monitor its growth and extract data to analyse the provision of services, resources to its citizens. This extracted data is very much of importance since this helps the concerned officials to promote other facilities or policies for people’s welfare. This process aims at giving better access to natural resources, transportation, health facilities, clean environment including waste management systems, enhanced crime investigatory systems and 24-hour availability of water and power supply.
This concept of Smart city also draws attention towards amalgamating Information and Communication Technology, popularly known as ICT and other things to make this effort reach in every household. Not just this, by doing a technological survey, the city aims at giving better performance in terms of everything.
Want to develop practical skills on Smart City? Checkout our latest projects and start learning for free
A capstone project is a multidisciplinary approach that inculcates a sense of intellectual experience in students. As we have seen, third or fourth-year students pursuing their undergraduate degree are required to submit a project which can take various forms such as a final working or non-working product or a presentation. A capstone project such as this serves the purpose of developing skills like communication skills, research skills, leadership qualities, teamwork, self-planning that help them to be prepared for modern job opportunities, future life. These projects also tend to encourage college-going students to combine societal problems with their projects so that they get to learn experiences lying outside their normal curriculum.
Being a part of such projects instils in us a new perspective towards our surrounding. It provides exposure to various conditions, teaches us practical knowledge of how things work and arise curiosity to learn better. These deliver best outcomes when taken in accordance with your interests. They make you work on a particular subject so that it gets polished with time and you gain something really worth out of it. Thus, these projects that are a part of your learning should be chosen with utmost vigilance and patience so that you enjoy while working on your project.
Some of the most authentic projects await you!
Skyfi Labs helps students learn practical skills by building real-world projects.
You can enrol with friends and receive kits at your doorstep
You can learn from experts, build working projects, showcase skills to the world and grab the best jobs.
Get started today!
Having now known about a few terms, it is required that we understand the dependence between the two. Various capstone projects based on IoT helps in making a city a smarter one. We have been a part of a world that has witnessed a lot of innovation, automation and technological advancement over the last two decades. It’s high time that we just not witness this change but also be the change and keeping the same thinking forward, we have brought for you some amazing Smart city-based projects that you can be a part of. It would not only give you high chances of getting recruited but will also be a little though significant contribution from your side towards the rapidly growing world. Have a look at them and pick one for yourself that you find is the most exciting for you. You can also visit our website for further details or queries.
1. IoT using Raspberry Pi (smart city project): In this capstone project you will learn to develop an electronic device that streams temperature and humidity with the help of internet. The main job of this device is to send notifications if in case the temperature exceeds the certain limit. You will also learn about various concepts and data analysis with the cloud platform.
2. IoT using Arduino: This smart city project involves working on the calibration of sensors and virtuino app development. You can set up a device that is sensitive to variations.
3. Automated street lightning: This capstone project helps you build a light-sensitive device that automatically turns the switch on and off depending on the intensity of sunlight falling on it. A very efficient device that saves energy is now found in many developed countries. Here, you will also learn to work on interfacing and calibrating sensors.
4. Smart Irrigation System: This smart city project helps you to develop a device that detects any change in the moisture level in the soil and also further controls the flow of water accordingly. You get to work with a soil moisture sensor and an Arduino board.
5. Home Automation System (capstone project): This smart city project makes use of the Bluetooth technology which you can use to control your home appliances. Moreover, on learning this course you will also be able to store and analyse the data about their usage.
6. Smart Water Monitoring using IoT: This capstone project course helps you build an IoT based Smart Water Monitoring System that controls and manages the flow of water through the pipe. This smart city project involves the corresponding IoT concepts and helps in saving a lot of water.
7. Smart Building using IoT: This capstone project enables you to build a smart device that can sense the number of occupants in a meeting room. It uses PIR sensors and works automatically in switching on and off. It is thus an efficient method to save electricity for further domestic purposes.
Hope this article was of some use to you.
Feel free to reach us anytime.
Stay up-to-date and build projects on latest technologies