Motion capture camera
Time lapse footages are made up of images of the same scene captured over a brief period of time. These footage’s usually consists of cities, landscapes, sky views, constructions, city traffic, sea shores, ocean photography etc. These sceneries usually change over a brief period of time, so capturing images at timer short intervals without any considerable scenery change leads to wastage of storage space.
In this project you will need a Raspberry Pi, Pi camera, and a Power supply for the Raspberry Pi. You will be using a Linux based OS for Raspberry Pi and Pi camera configuring files and a motion software for recording the video when there is a motion in the room, this project can be used to record videos and take picture when there is a motion detected and this can be stored in an external storage device.
- Raspberry Pi 3 B: Raspberry Pi is a Microprocessor which has 40 pins with 27 GPIO pins, it has a 1 Giga Bytes of RAM and a SD card slot for the storage or the ROM,it can be used as a mini computer for low computing operations, it has a dual band LAN, faster Ethernet, Bluetooth, it also has USB and HDMI ports for connecting devices. This device can be used as a server which we are doing in this project.
- Micro SD card: You will need a minimum of 8 gigabytes SD card for this project, this SD card is used as the ROM of the raspberry pi. Use 32 Gigabyte or 64 Gigabytes of
- Display: You can use any kind of display for the project, like monitors, TV or any size display that fits your requirement to configure the Pi.
- Power Supply: Raspberry Pi needs a power supply of 5V and 2A Micro USB type.
- Mouse and keyboard: You will need this to control, monitor, and to configure the Pi.
- Keypad Module: Keypad module is used to enter the security code to open the gate or the door, it is basically a number pad which takes the security code as the input.
- Pi Camera: Use the Pi camera to capture still images, live streaming and for video recording.
- External storage device: Use a external storage device like a hard drive to store all the pictures and the videos recorded when there is a motion.
Did you know
Skyfi Labs helps students learn practical skills by building real-world projects.
You can enrol with friends and receive kits at your doorstep
You can learn from experts, build working projects, showcase skills to the world and grab the best jobs.
Get started today!
- Install the Raspbian OS into the SD card, and boot the Raspberry Pi.
- Download and install the Putty software, this software helps us to access the camera remotely through SSH(Secure Shell Protocol).
- Mount and setup your hard drive.
- Connect the Pi camera and enable the camera option in the settings.
- Download the Motion software for the Pi camera and run it in the daemon mode.
- Write a shell script to execute the commands in the terminal for surveillance, still image capturing live streaming and recording when there is motion.
Project Brief:The Raspberry Pi when configured and all the required software has been installed then the Pi is ready to be used for capturing pictures and videos whenever there is motion then write a shell script to execute all the terminal commands one by one in order to capture an still image, or for motion capture videos. After finishing all the configure steps the motion capturing camera is ready to be installed in your home, or office. The pictures and the video that are captured will be stored in the external drive.
- Raspbian OS(Debian Linux): Raspbian operating systems are based on Linux, Raspberry pi are also compatible with Windows and IOS but prefer any Linux based OS
- Putty: Putty is free and open source terminal emulator, serial console and network file transfer application.
- Motion software: Motion software is a software specifically built for Raspberry Pi camera, this software is used to capture images or record video when there is a motion detected.
Linux (terminal commands)
Latest projects on Raspberry Pi
Want to develop practical skills on Raspberry Pi? Checkout our latest projects and start learning for free
Kit required to develop Motion capture camera:
Technologies you will learn by working on Motion capture camera:
Motion capture camera