Weather Monitoring using Raspberry Pi
Weather Monitoring is a Project where you can see the change in the weather remotely using your smartphone, so the main conditions in the weather monitor are the temperature, humidity, and the air quality. Weather can change at any time as it is uncontrollable but it can be monitored continuously and measures can be taken depending on the weather conditions. In this project, you will be able to monitor the conditions of the weather and receive the data to your phone.
Looking to build project on IoT using Raspberry Pi?:
Skyfi Labs gives you the easiest way to learn and build this project.
- IoT using Raspberry Pi Kit will be shipped to you (anywhere in the world!)
- Use high quality videos to understand concepts and build the project
- Get 1 to 1 expert assistance from Skyfi Labs engineers while doing the project
- Earn a smart certificate on finishing the project
You can start for free and pay only if you like it!
You will require a Raspberry Pi 3 model B, GSM module, and sensors like DHT11, air quality tester, and LDR for this project, you will also be using a solar panel as the source of power. In this project, you will be monitoring the temperature, humidity, the amount of carbon monoxide and hydrogen present in the air. When there is a change in the weather the data is acquired and sent to the mobile phone through the GSM module.
- Raspberry Pi 3 B: You can use Raspberry pi as a server, program raspberry pi to take the data from Arduino, and depending on the data acquired you can actuate the camera, exhaust and also turn of the machines. Program the raspberry pi such that the data that is acquired from sensors is uploaded to the cloud and when an intruder is found in the restricted area then click a picture and mail it to the email ID given in the program.
- DHT11 Sensor: DHT11 a digital Temperature and Humidity sensor is a composite sensor which contains a calibrated digital signal of the Temperature and Humidity.
- Solar Panel: The solar panel has photovoltaic cells which absorb sunlight and convert it to electric energy.
- MPC3008 ADC: MPC3008 is a Analog to Digital converter IC with which the analog inputs of the sensors can be converte to the digital signals.
- TGS2600: TGS2600 general air quality sensor which can detect the amount of hydrogen and carbon monoxide in the air. The sensor gives the percentage of the gas present in the air.
- GSM module: GSM stands for Global system for mobile communication, this GSM module can connect to a mobile network and can send text messages and perform voice call to other mobile devices.
- LDR:LDR is light dependent resistor or a photoresistor which is light dependent variable resistor.
- Voltage Regulator: The voltage regulators give a constant DC output voltage. The raspberry PI needs 5V constant DC voltage and 2A of current, use a voltage regulator that gives a constant 5V Dc output.
Latest projects on Raspberry Pi
Want to develop practical skills on Raspberry Pi? Checkout our latest projects and start learning for free
- Install the Raspbian OS into the SD card, and boot the Raspberry Pi.
- Connect your Display with the HDMI cable. Plug in the keyboard and mouse to navigate and configure the raspberry pi.
- Write a Python program with which you can get the data from LDR, DHT11, TGS2600 sensor.
- The data acquired has to be checked and if there is any change in the weather condition then the changed data and the indication of a change in weather has to be sent to the mobile phone through GSM module.
- The Solar Panel also should be used to drive the raspberry pi, the Pi runs on 5V so the IC 7805 is used to regulate the voltage from the Solaar panel.
Project Brief: Once you set up your project, the daylight, Temperature, Humidity and Air quality can be monitored. The data acquired can be monitored by the user through a mobile phone, when there is the change in the weather the weather station sends the data of the weather change to the user through the GSM module and the user is alerted with the weather conditions.
- Raspbian OS(Debian Linux) Raspbian operating systems are based on Linux, Raspberry pi are also compatible with Windows and IOS but prefer any Linux based OS
- Python IDE 3: Python IDE 3 is compiler where you can write and compile python program.
- Linux (terminal commands)
Did you know
Skyfi Labs helps students learn practical skills by building real-world projects.
You can enrol with friends and receive kits at your doorstep
You can learn from experts, build working projects, showcase skills to the world and grab the best jobs.
Get started today!
Kit required to develop Weather Monitoring using Raspberry Pi:
Technologies you will learn by working on Weather Monitoring using Raspberry Pi:
Weather Monitoring using Raspberry Pi