Surveillance Monitoring using Android Phone
Wireless surveillance monitoring using Raspberry Pi is a project where you can monitor your home, office, or any other place through a web address or an Android app. You can take still images, watch live streaming and also record the videos.
Looking to build project on Surveillance Camera using IoT?:
Skyfi Labs gives you the easiest way to learn and build this project.
- Surveillance Camera using IoT Kit will be shipped to you (anywhere in the world!)
- Use high quality videos to understand concepts and build the project
- Get 1 to 1 expert assistance from Skyfi Labs engineers while doing the project
- Earn a smart certificate on finishing the project
You can start for free and pay only if you like it!
In this project you will need a Raspberry Pi, Pi camera, and a Power supply for the Raspberry Pi and an android phone. You will be using a Linux based OS for Raspberry Pi and Pi camera configuring files and a motion software for recording the video when there is a motion in the room.
- Raspberry Pi 3 B: Raspberry Pi is a Microprocessor which has 40 pins with 27 GPIO pins, it has a 1 Giga Bytes of RAM and a SD card slot for the storage or the ROM,it can be used as a mini computer for low computing operations, it has a dual band LAN, faster Ethernet, Bluetooth, it also has USB and HDMI ports for connecting devices. This device can be used as a server which we are doing in this project.
- Micro SD card: You will need a minimum of 8 gigabytes SD card for this project, this SD card is used as the ROM of the raspberry pi. Use 32 Gigabyte or 64 Gigabytes of
- Display: You can use any kind of display for the project, like monitors, TV or any size display that fits your requirement to configure the Pi.
- Pi Camera: Use the Pi camera to capture still images, live streaming and for video recording.
- Power Supply: Raspberry Pi needs a power supply of 5V and 2A Micro USB type.
- Mouse and keyboard: You will need this to control, monitor, and to configure the Pi.
Did you know
Skyfi Labs helps students learn practical skills by building real-world projects.
You can enrol with friends and receive kits at your doorstep
You can learn from experts, build working projects, showcase skills to the world and grab the best jobs.
Get started today!
- Install the Raspbian OS into the SD card, and boot the Raspberry Pi.
- Connect the Raspberry Pi to a Wi-Fi network and check for the IP address of the Pi.
- Connect the Pi camera and enable the camera option in the settings.
- Download the Motion software for the Pi camera and run it in the daemon mode.
- Write a shell script to execute the commands in the terminal for surveillance, still image capturing and recording when there is motion.
- In order to view the live streaming of the surveillance camera you need to do port forwarding of your network with the IP address
- Use App inventor and create an android app that help you to monitor remotely using your smart phone.
Project Brief:The Raspberry Pi when configured and all the required software has been installed then the Pi is ready to be used for surveillance then write a shell script to execute all the terminal commands one by one in order to capture an still image, or for live streaming or for motion capture. After finishing all the configure steps the surveillance system is ready to be installed in your home, or office, or any place where you want to monitor. You can view the live streaming in your phone froom any part of the world.
- Raspbian OS(Debian Linux): Raspbian operating systems are based on Linux, Raspberry pi are also compatible with Windows and IOS but prefer any Linux based OS
- Putty: Putty is free and open source terminal emulator, serial console and network file transfer application.
- Motion software: Motion software is a software specifically built for Raspberry Pi camera, this software is used to capture images or record video when there is a motion detected.
- App Inventor: You can use any App inventors and create an android app that can help you to monitor through the surveillance system.
Linux (terminal commands)
Latest projects on Raspberry Pi
Want to develop practical skills on Raspberry Pi? Checkout our latest projects and start learning for free
Kit required to develop Surveillance Monitoring using Android Phone:
Technologies you will learn by working on Surveillance Monitoring using Android Phone:
Surveillance Monitoring using Android Phone