Internships provide you with exciting and engaging opportunities to improve your technical skills and get real-world experience. This will be truer for aerospace/ aeronautical internships where you get to work with some of the leading scientists and industry professionals on real-time projects.
The aerospace/ aeronautical projects that these companies work on has the greatest impact on our national security and space programs. Such kind of field needs a lots of innovation to meet the demands. This is the prime reason why government is investing lot of funds on projects related to aerospace.
In other words, if you are an engineering student looking to join internships in aerospace/ aeronautical fields, you have a lot of opportunities to get acquainted with leading industries.
Joining such industries for your internship will definitely help you in developing a great career.
What are the different internship opportunities available for Aerospace/ Aeronautical students?
- Software related: Aircraft designing and simulation greatly assists in increasing the safety and improving flight stability. One should be well versed in the concepts of aerodynamics & computational analysis to work in this sector. Joining this internship will help you to develop your skills and improve your expertise on software tools like CATIA, PRO-E, ANSYS, ABAQUS, NASTRAN, FLUENT etc.
- UAV Training:With the drone technology being experimented to assist in logistics, military, aerial photography, etc. the scope of UAV is on the rise. There are lot of organizations which does UAV design & analysis and provides solution for industries. Joining as an intern in such organizations will help you to understand the practical aspect of aeromodelling and its applications.
- Project Associates: All the top institutions including IITs, IISc & NITs will be doing research projects all throughout the year which will be headed by individual professors. They will be needing project associates who can assist them in the process. You can apply for such internships to assist in projects related to aeronautics. Joining this internship will greatly help you to get good project experience and acquire great contacts which would help you to get jobs.
- Company Internships: This mostly involves manufacturing and production industries where actual aircrafts or their spares are produced. There are lot of industrial giants who do this, but getting internships in such companies is not easy, more often it requires for you to have some contacts. Joining as an intern in these industries will greatly help you to land in your dream job, as the knowledge and experience that you will gain is priceless.
How can you make most out of an internship?
While it is common for engineering students to apply for internships and go for training, not everyone will come out successful. Success here is not about the certificate that you get, but the experience that you gain and how you are utilizing it to develop a great career.
So here are some tips which you can use to make the most out of an aeronautical internship,
- Build great contacts: Internships offer you a very good platform to meet a lot of new people, most of them being far experienced in their field and have a very good industrial expertise. Building relationships with them will help you in multiple ways even after your internship, from getting reference to landing in your first job. So utilize your internship to identify great people and build relationship with them.
- Learn as much as you can: While you are at internship, you will have a great advantage of interacting with almost everyone across varied departments. Utilize this opportunity to learn as much as you can. It is all about you, if you have the zeal and motivation to learn new things, people over there will surely assist you. Learning is the most important thing that you need to do at your internship.
- Understand the corporate culture: When you are at an internship, you will find the culture and the way people work there to be little different than what you have experienced in your college. You should understand the corporate culture and prepare yourself to work in such kind of environment. This will give you an added advantage once you go for an actual job, where you already know how to get along with people and maintain a decorum.
- Improve your soft skills too: One of the most important skills that you need to improve is your soft skills, which will greatly assist you in landing at your first job. For this, you can utilize the internship as an effective platform to improve your interpersonal skills, from effective communication to collaboration with team members & management skills. In addition to the technical knowledge that you get during your internship, the soft skills that you gain will greatly boost your confidence.
What are the top companies that offer internship for Aerospace/ Aeronautical students?
There are a lot of companies that offer internships for aerospace/ aeronautical students. You should be particular in selecting the companies. It is recommended that you go for internship at companies that falls within your area of interest.
Some of the notable mentions are:
- HAL – Hindustan Aeronautics Limited
- NAL – National Aerospace Laboratories
- ADA – Aeronautical Development Agency
- VSSC – Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre
- SDSC – Satish Dhawan Space Centre
- DRDL – Defence Research & Development Laboratory
- ISRO – Indian Space Research Organisation
- LPSC – Liquid Propulsion Systems Centre
- GTRE – Gas Turbine Research Establishment
- TAAL – Taneja Aerospace & Aviation Limited
- Atkins & UTC Aerospace
- Honeywell Aerospace
- Airbus/ Cassidian Centre
- Tata Mahendra
- GE for Turbomachinery
- Godrej & Boyce
- Tata Aerospace
- L&T Manufacturing
- Ideaforge Tech
- Aniara Communications
You can simply search for these companies in Google to get their official website. You can browse through their website to understand their work and check if they have some internship offerings that fits into your area of interest.
How to apply for internships?
You can find information about the internships offered by various companies in many public forums. Some of the commonly used ones are internshala, letsintern, twenty19, hellointern etc.
You can register on these forums to get timely updates and notification about the internships. You will also be able to apply for the internships in these forums directly. They even display the status of your internship in that portal itself to ease the recruitment process.
If you want to apply for other government organizations/ MNCs you can visit their careers/ offerings page on their website, where they would have mentioned about their current openings and their interview process.
Generally, companies will ask for the resume, cover letter, bonafide certificate and other Bachelor transcripts. So prepare them in advance and show it to your seniors/ faculties to get their inputs and make changes accordingly.
What can you do other than Internships?
If for some reason you are unable to get an internship, don’t worry. There are plenty of other opportunities that you can utilize to develop similar skills and experience you get by doing an internship. For example, you can try the following activities instead of wasting your holidays.
- Hands-on training programs: Attending hands-on training programs are the traditional way to learn new technologies and develop skill sets. You can undergo summer training programs or winter training programs that are offered by reputed institutions to spend your vacations in a productive manner. You can choose the training programs as per your requirements and improve your skills accordingly.
- Building Projects: You can improve your skill sets by building projects on latest technologies to understand them better. Learning while building projects will be an effective approach for you to gain necessary skills. This experience will also add values to your profile and you can use that to impress your recruiter, as most companies prefer candidates who are more hands-on. You can also try several online project building courses.
- E-Learning: This is also an effective way for you to learn and gain new skills. There are various online platforms available for you, through which you can enroll for some certification courses. Top mentions include Udemy, Udacity, Coursera, Simplilearn etc. The advantage of doing these courses is that you can just log in anytime, anywhere and learn without any hassle. You will also be awarded a certificate of completion which you can use to showcase skills to recruiters.
Skyfi Labs Courses/ Training Programs:
If you are planning to improve your skills by doing projects, we at Skyfi Labs have developed some amazing project-based courses that make learning by building projects super easy.
You can either enroll for our online courses to build projects in your home at your own convenience or you can join our hands-on training programs at one of our venues.
Build awesome projects at your home (click here)
Join hands-on classroom training program (click here)
Leave your comments below..