Recognizing vehicle number plates is a difficult but much-needed system. This is very useful for automating toll booths, automated signal breakers identification and finding out traffic rule breakers. In this project a Raspberry Pi based vehicle number plate recognition system that automatically recognizes vehicle number plates using image processing.
The system uses a camera along with an LCD display circuit interfaced to a Raspberry Pi. The system constantly processes incoming camera footage to detect any trace of number plates. On sensing a number plate in front of the camera, it processes the camera input, extracts the number plate part from the image. Processes the extracted image using OCR and extracts the number plate number from it. The system then displays the extracted number on the display.
- Raspberry Pi 3 B: Raspberry Pi is a Microprocessor which has 40 pins with 27 GPIO pins, it has a 1 Giga Bytes of RAM and a SD card slot for the storage or the ROM,it can be used as a mini computer for low computing operations, it has a dual band LAN, faster Ethernet, Bluetooth, it also has USB and HDMI ports for connecting devices. This device can be used as a server which we are doing in this project.
- Micro SD card: You will need a minimum of 8 gigabytes SD card for this project, this SD card is used as the ROM of the raspberry pi. Use 32 Gigabyte or 64 Gigabytes of
- Pi Camera: Use the Pi camera to capture still images, live streaming and for video recording.
- L293D Motor Driver: You need motor drivers to drive the motors, as the microcontroller only works on 5V, it can only give signals to the motor but the motor needs more than 5V to run this is why we use motor drivers.
- DC motors: Use DC motors to actuate the robots.
- Robot Chassis: Use strong chassis which can hold some serious weight, you will need one chassis for master and one for each slave.
- Li-Po battery: Raspberry Pi needs a power supply of 5V and 2A and Li-Po battery can be used for the power supply. Use 2500mAh li-po battery.
- PI TFT Touchscreen: Use a TFT Touchscreen display module which is specified only for Pi.
- DC-DC Voltage Regulator: DC-DC Voltage Regulator gives a constant voltage to 5V.
- PIR sensor: Yuo can use PIR sensors to detect the presence of humans or animals.
- RF Transmitter module: This module has an encoder which helps in converting the data from parallel to serial communication data format and this data is then transmitted using radio frequency.
- RF Receiver module: This module has a decoder in it and the received data is decoded so that Arduino can understand the data received.
Latest projects on Electronics
Want to develop practical skills on Electronics? Checkout our latest projects and start learning for free
- Install the Raspbian OS into the SD card, and boot the Raspberry Pi.
- Connect the Pi camera and enable the camera option in the settings.
- Download the opencv software for the Pi camera and run it in the daemon mode.
- Write a shell script to execute the commands in the terminal for surveillance, checking the live streaming and recording when there is fire.
- Write a python program with which you can take a picture when there is a human or an animal is detected, you can also take a video whenever there is a human or an animal is detected.
- You can control the robot through the transmitter or the controller from a radius of two kilometers.
Project Brief:The Raspberry Pi when configured and all the required software has been installed then the Pi is ready to be used for surveillance then write a shell script to execute all the terminal commands one by one in order to capture a still image, or for motion capture when there is a human or animal detected. After finishing all the configure steps the surveillance system is ready.
Did you know
Skyfi Labs helps students learn practical skills by building real-world projects.
You can enrol with friends and receive kits at your doorstep
You can learn from experts, build working projects, showcase skills to the world and grab the best jobs.
Get started today!
- Raspbian OS(Debian Linux): Raspbian operating systems are based on Linux, Raspberry pi are also compatible with Windows and IOS but prefer any Linux based OS
- OpenCV OpenCV is a dependency software for face detection, or a circular object detection, and even the fire detection.
- Python IDE 3: Python IDE 3 is compiler where you can write and compile python program.
Kit required to develop Night Vision security patroling-robot:
Linux (terminal commands)
Technologies you will learn by working on Night Vision security patroling-robot: