With an increase in population, there is an evident increase in demand for land both residential and public buildings. To meet up this demand, the world has now moved towards resolving multi-storeyed buildings and the number of multi-storeyed buildings in the world is undoubtedly going to increase manifolds in the coming future. Not only the demand but also the cost of construction and cost of maintenance has suffered a significant uplift in the recent era.
In this case, if a building fails due to improper design, or lack of strength or rather ignorance at the time of construction, it will lead to enormous loss, both in terms of wealth and lives. Thus, in the present scenario, seismic analysis of any building is of prime importance. This analysis will help us to improve the existing structures and on the other hand, it will prevent the upcoming structures to be prone to the same kind of threat.
Skyfi Labs gives you the easiest way to learn and build this project.
The analysis of a building can be done manually as well as by using software and the results of the analysis in both cases can be compared and studied to reach the desired conclusion.
The software used for the analysis of buildings is ETABS which is used by many design companies for their project designs. In this Civil project, the manual, as well as software analysis for the structures with the seismic coefficient method using various loading combinations, is discussed.
1. A structure has to be considered for the project and the modelling of the structure has to be done on ETABS.
2. The preliminary data required for the structure analysis include:
Want to develop practical skills on Civil Engineering? Checkout our latest projects and start learning for free
3. The different loads acting on the building have to be calculated. These may include Dead load, Live load, Earthquake load, self-weight, load due to the walls, load because of the floor, etc.
4. Once the above-mentioned parameters are set, the seismic weight of the building needs to be calculated. The seismic weight is calculated manually as well as through the ETABS software.
5. The analysis of the building now has to be done. For this, the seismic base shear of the building has to be designed. The base shear has to be distributed vertically. First, the distribution should be done manually using the ETABS software.
The same procedure has to applied by changing the parameters for analysis of buildings of various heights.
You will require the ETABS 7.1 software for the modeling of the building.
Using this, an almost complete design can be proposed by considering various parameters for an earthquake resistance building.
Skyfi Labs helps students learn practical skills by building real-world projects.
You can enrol with friends and receive kits at your doorstep
You can learn from experts, build working projects, showcase skills to the world and grab the best jobs.
Get started today!
Join 250,000+ students from 36+ countries & develop practical skills by building projects
Get kits shipped in 24 hours. Build using online tutorials.
Stay up-to-date and build projects on latest technologies