In Today’s World, Automation is one of the trending and emerging technologies these days.
Every time when you enter a room, you need to push the door to open the door.
Imagine there is a door which opens as soon as you come close to the door.
Through this project you are going to build a unique system which automatically opens the door when there is a person standing in front of the door and closes the door automatically as soon as the person left.
The general operation of the system is whenever there is any person at the entrance door should be opened. Light focusing on the LDR determines whether a person is present or not. When there is an object at the entrance, LDR is in dark and immediately doors are opened. In addition to this, we can add Wi-Fi module, to upload the door’s present status into the remote cloud and it can be accessed it from anywhere.
You will need an Arduino Uno board to act as the brain of the system. The microcontroller will be connected to a WiFi module to establish an internet connection program. The system you are going to design will have an LDR (Light Dependent Resistor) which act as an Eye for the system. You will programme the microcontroller in such a way that not only the door should be opened, whenever you some person is standing in front of the door but also it should store the present status door etc., in the remote cloud simultaneously.
- Arduino/Genuino Uno: The digital and analog input/output pins equipped in this board can be interfaced to various expansion boards and other circuits.
A serial communication interface is a feature in this board, including USB which will be used to load the programs from computer.
- LDR (Light Dependent Resistor): An LDR can be called a variable resistor controlled by intensity of light.
Whenever the LDR is in very low light, the resistance value of the LDR will be very high (in Mega Ohms).
Similarly Whenever the LDR is under the normal light the resistance value of the LDR will be very less comparatively (in order of 10^2 Ohms).
- 7805 IC: IC 7805 is an integrated circuit which can used as a voltage regulator.
It is an electronic circuit that provides a stable DC voltage independent of the load current, temperature and AC line voltage variations.
A voltage regulator may use a simple feed-forward design or may include negative feedback.
Depending on the design, it may be used to regulate one or more AC or DC voltages.
- Servo Motors: A servomotor is a closed-loop servomechanism that uses position feedback to control its motion and final position. The input to its control is a signal (either analogue or digital) representing the position
- IN4007 IC: The 1N400x (or 1N4001 or 1N4000) series is a family of popular 1 A general-purpose silicon rectifier diodes commonly used in AC adapters for common household appliances.
Its blocking voltage varies from 50 volts (1N4001) to 1000 volts (1N4007).
- Wi-Fi Module : ESP8266 Wi-Fi module is generally used to establish the wireless communication between the devices.
But this module is not capable of 5-3V logic shifting and will require an external logic level converter.
Did you know
Skyfi Labs helps students learn practical skills by building real-world projects.
You can enrol with friends and receive kits at your doorstep
You can learn from experts, build working projects, showcase skills to the world and grab the best jobs.
Get started today!
- Initially, interface LDR and Wi-Fi module to the Arduino board.
- Now Power the system and Upload the code.
- Place your hand in front of the LDR, immediately you can see the servo motors moving.
- The present status of the doors will be sent to the cloud for storage and analysis.
- Arduino IDE : You will be needing Arduino IDE software to write and upload the programming logic onto the Arduino Uno board
- Thingspeak : Also, you need to create an account in the ThinkSpeak IoT platform to integrate the system onto the cloud and store the data online
Programming language: Arduino Programming (C++)
Latest projects on Internet of Things
Want to develop practical skills on Internet of Things? Checkout our latest projects and start learning for free
Kit required to develop Automatic Door Opening and Closing System:
Technologies you will learn by working on Automatic Door Opening and Closing System:
Automatic Door Opening and Closing System