Internet of Things
IoT based Dam Water Monitoring
During rainy season,floods are very natural to occur. But if they occur heavily then problem will arise. Through this project you are going to build an automatic protection system for dams and reservoirs through IoT based water monitoring technique.
Looking to build project on Smart Water Monitoring?:
Skyfi Labs gives you the easiest way to learn and build this project.
- Smart Water Monitoring Kit will be shipped to you (anywhere in the world!)
- Use high quality videos to understand concepts and build the project
- Get 1 to 1 expert assistance from Skyfi Labs engineers while doing the project
- Earn a smart certificate on finishing the project
You can start for free and pay only if you like it!
You will need Arduino to interface the microcontroller with the Moisture sensor and Wi-Fi module. You will place the four Moisture sensors at 25%, 50%, 85%, 95% marks in the Dam.
You will programme the micro controller in such a way that whenever the Moisture sensor at the different levels senses the water, the value of the Water level will
be updated into the remote server accordingly. Once the water level hits the mark of 95%, immediately the dam gates will be opened automatically. Once the gates are opened,
immediately an sms and an email will be sent to the respective authorities through Virtuino app. The gates will be in opened condition till the water level is reduced below
85% moisture sensor.
- Arduino Uno: Arduino Uno: The digital and analog input/output pins equipped in this board can be interfaced to various expansion boards and other circuits. Serial communication interface is a feature in this board, including USB which will be used to load the programs from computer.
- Wi-Fi Module: ESP8266 Wi-Fi module is generally used to establish the wireless communication between the devices. But this module is not capable of 5-3V logic shifting and will require an external logic level converter
- Moisture Sensor: The moisture sensor is a sensor designed to measure the moisture content present in the soil.
- Water Pump: Generally a water pump pumps water from one place to other place using centrifugal force.
- Solar Panel: The devices which converts the solar energy into electric energy is called Solar Panel.
- Motor Driver: Generally the Arduino board is not capable of providing required amount of current for running the motors. So we use a device called Motor Driver which will provide sufficient current for driving the motors.
Latest projects on Internet of Things
Want to develop practical skills on Internet of Things? Checkout our latest projects and start learning for free
- Interface the 4 Moisture sensors and Servo motors with the Arduino
- Power the components and Upload the code
- Once the water level reaches the 95%, you can see the dam gates will be automatically opened
- An email and as SMS will be sent to respective authorities through Virtuino app
- The gates will be opened till the water level is reduced below 85%
- All the data regarding Present Gate status, Water level can be update in the remote server for further analysis
- Arduino IDE : You will be needing Arduino IDE software to write and upload the programming logic onto the Arduino Uno board
- Thingspeak : Also, you need to create an account in the ThinkSpeak IoT platform to integrate the system onto the cloud and store the data online
Programming language: Arduino Programming (C++)
Did you know
Skyfi Labs helps students learn practical skills by building real-world projects.
You can enrol with friends and receive kits at your doorstep
You can learn from experts, build working projects, showcase skills to the world and grab the best jobs.
Get started today!
Kit required to develop IoT based Dam Water Monitoring:
Technologies you will learn by working on IoT based Dam Water Monitoring:
IoT based Dam Water Monitoring