Internet of Things
Cell Phone Controlled Home Appliances
In today’s world, Automation is one of the most trending topic for Research and Development. Through this project, you will develop a system that can control appliances we use every day like Fans, Lights, TV’s etc.
and with this system, you can switch those devices on and off with your Smart Phone and
we can store those devices present status (either switched on or switched off) automatically into a remote cloud and we can access them into our mobile or Systems from anywhere from the world.
Looking to build project on Home Automation using IoT?:
Skyfi Labs gives you the easiest way to learn and build this project.
- Home Automation using IoT Kit will be shipped to you (anywhere in the world!)
- Use high quality videos to understand concepts and build the project
- Get 1 to 1 expert assistance from Skyfi Labs engineers while doing the project
- Earn a smart certificate on finishing the project
You can start for free and pay only if you like it!
You will need an Arduino Uno board to act as the brain of the system.
And the microcontroller will be connected with a Bluetooth module.
So with the help of Bluetooth module, we can remotely control all the devices with Smart Phone.
In addition to this, we can add Wi-Fi module to establish an internet connection,
to upload the data into remote cloud, to access it from anywhere in the world.
You will program the microcontroller in such a way that say whenever you gave command in your smart phone to on the appliance,
it not only switch on the appliance but also store the data in the remote server simultaneously.
You can also innovate the system further to send a notification to a user at any part of the world via SMS or email
Latest projects on Internet of Things
Want to develop practical skills on Internet of Things? Checkout our latest projects and start learning for free
- App Inventor: App Inventor allows Android Apps to be built and has building blocks which are easy to understand and implement.
There are 2 steps, first you need add interfacing elements to the application such as buttons, images and sounds.
Then secondly, you need to add logic and actions with plain language instruction blocks that will snap together like building blocks.
You can use MIT App Inventor for this.
- Arduino/Genuino Uno :The digital and analog input/output pins equipped in this board can be interfaced to various expansion boards and other circuits.
Serial communication interface is a feature in this board, including USB which will be used to load the programs from computer.
- Wi-Fi Module: ESP8266 Wi-Fi module is generally used to establish the wireless communication between the devices. But this module is not capable of 5-3V logic shifting and will require an external logic level converter.
- Bluetooth: HC-05 Bluetooth module is a generally used to provide a common platform for connecting Smart Phone with Microcontroller.
Communication between Smart phone and Bluetooth will be Serial.
- N-Channel Relay Module: The n-Channels Relay module’s operating voltage is 5V DC with drive current of 20mA.
This relay can be interfaced with many no. of microcontrollers such as Arduino, AVR, PIC, ARM and MSP430.
Here we use Arduino, because programming is not that much typical.
This relay module has ports “NC” abbreviated as “Normally connected to COM”, “NO” abbreviated as “Normally open to COM” and “COM” abbreviated as Common.
Along with these, there will be two types of LED’s, one is to show the power status of the board and other for showing the relay status.
Here “N” indicates the no relays on single board. We have 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12-Channel Relay Module are available in the market.
- The Relay Module is interfaced with the appliance to be controlled.
- Now the Bluetooth will be interfaced with relay module and microcontroller
- Once the interfacing is done, the Bluetooth Module is connected to the Bluetooth in the Smart Phone through Android app “ArduinoBluetooth” which is available in Playstore.
- Once Bluetooth connection is established, you can directly turn on/off the appliance using the switches in the app.
- Using this application, we can control upto 8 appliances.
- The data about all of this will be sent to the cloud for storage and analysis
- Arduino IDE : You will be needing Arduino IDE software to write and upload the programming logic onto the Arduino Uno board
- Thingspeak : Also, you need to create an account in the ThinkSpeak IoT platform to integrate the system onto the cloud and store the data online
Programming language: Arduino Programming (C++)
Did you know
Skyfi Labs helps students learn practical skills by building real-world projects.
You can enrol with friends and receive kits at your doorstep
You can learn from experts, build working projects, showcase skills to the world and grab the best jobs.
Get started today!
Kit required to develop Cell Phone Controlled Home Appliances:
Technologies you will learn by working on Cell Phone Controlled Home Appliances:
Cell Phone Controlled Home Appliances