Internet of Things
Smart Home Interface using GSM and IOT
The electronic device that you build as part of this project can assist a user in controlling all the home appliances via GSM technology. The home automation device that you build can be integrated with almost all the home appliances and can be used to control them remotely by sending a sms through GSM technology.
Looking to build project on Home Automation using IoT?:
Skyfi Labs gives you the easiest way to learn and build this project.
- Home Automation using IoT Kit will be shipped to you (anywhere in the world!)
- Use high quality videos to understand concepts and build the project
- Get 1 to 1 expert assistance from Skyfi Labs engineers while doing the project
- Earn a smart certificate on finishing the project
You can start for free and pay only if you like it!
With the advent of smartphones, most of the people of today have their own GSM connection. The main objective of this project is to develop a system that can control the appliances by sending a sms through GSM. The home appliances will be connected to the Arduino board with help of relay driver modules which will facilitate the On/Off actions based on the load given. The system will be connected to the internet through WiFi module and a cloud interface will be created to view the data collected.
- App Inventor: App Inventor allows Android Apps to be built and has building blocks which are easy to understand and implement. There are 2 steps, first you need add interfacing elements to the application such as buttons, images and sounds. Then secondly, you need to add logic and actions with plain language instruction blocks that will snap together like building blocks. You can use MIT App Inventor for this.
- Arduino IDE: The open source Arduino environment that makes it easy to write and implement the code onto the board. Arduino programs are written in C or C++ language. It also has features such as syntax highlighting, brace matching and automatic indentation.
- GSM: GSM (Global System for Mobile Communications) is a standard developed to describe protocols for a second generation digital cellular networks used by mobile phones. SIM-900 GSM module will be used for this project. It is a type of modem that accepts a SIM card and operates over a subscription to a mobile operator, just like a mobile phone. It will be capable of sending and receiving SMS & MMS messages.
- Arduino Uno: The Arduino UNO board contains ATMEGA 328 microcontroller. The Atmel ATMEGA 328 is a 8 bit AVR RISC based microcontroller that combines 32KB ISP flash memory with read-while-write capabilities, 1 KB EEPROM, 2 KB SRAM, 23 general purpose I/O lines, 32 general purpose working registers.
Latest projects on Internet of Things
Want to develop practical skills on Internet of Things? Checkout our latest projects and start learning for free
- The Android App that you build will have 2 screens – Splash screen and Device Control Screen
- In the splash screen, you need to enter the correct password to enter the device control screen
- Then, it will prompt you to enter the mobile number which you have integrated with the system
- You can check the check box to make any device ON and OFF
- Then the application will exchange the ASCII data through SMS based on your response
- The microcontroller receives data through GSM modem in the form of SMS and the ‘SBUF register’ reads this ASCII characters as equivalent Hex value which is ported to the digital pins of the Arduino
- Based on the programming logic, the microcontroller on receiving the equivalent Hex value through serial register will make the corresponding digital pin to high and thereby making the relay in ON/OFF condition
- You will be needing Arduino IDE software to write and upload the programming logic onto the Arduino Uno board
- Also, you need to create an account in the ThinkSpeak IoT platform to integrate the system onto the cloud and store the data online
Did you know
Skyfi Labs helps students learn practical skills by building real-world projects.
You can enrol with friends and receive kits at your doorstep
You can learn from experts, build working projects, showcase skills to the world and grab the best jobs.
Get started today!
Programming language: Arduino Programming (C++)Kit required to develop Smart Home Interface using GSM and IOT:
Technologies you will learn by working on Smart Home Interface using GSM and IOT:
Smart Home Interface using GSM and IOT