Internet of Things
Voice Controlled Smart Home
In today’s world, Automation is one of the most trending topic for Research and Development.
Through this project, you will develop a system that can control appliances we use every day like Fans, Lights, TV’s etc. by your voice itself and you can switch those devices on and off with your voice commands and we can store those devices present status (either switched on or switched off) automatically into a remote cloud and we can access them through our mobile or computer from anywhere on the world.
Looking to build project on Home Automation using IoT?:
Skyfi Labs gives you the easiest way to learn and build this project.
- Home Automation using IoT Kit will be shipped to you (anywhere in the world!)
- Use high quality videos to understand concepts and build the project
- Get 1 to 1 expert assistance from Skyfi Labs engineers while doing the project
- Earn a smart certificate on finishing the project
You can start for free and pay only if you like it!
You will need an Arduino/Genuino Uno board for interfacing micro-controller with the smart phone using Bluetooth.
You will create an android app which can be connected to the Arduino board by interfacing a Bluetooth module to the board.
By using the application you can turn on and off any device in your house with your voice commands.
You can also innovate the system further to send a notification regarding the status of the devices to the owner irrespective of his/her location across the world via SMS or email.
- Arduino/Genuino Uno: The digital and analog input/output pins equipped in this board can be interfaced to various expansion boards and other circuits. Serial communication interface is a feature in this board, including USB which will be used to load the programs from computer.
- App Inventor: App Inventor allows Android Apps to be built and has building blocks which are easy to understand and implement. There are 2 steps, first you need add interfacing elements to the application such as buttons, images and sounds. Then secondly, you need to add logic and actions with plain language instruction blocks that will snap together like building blocks. You can use MIT App Inventor for this.
- Bluetooth: HC-05 Bluetooth module is a generally used to provide a common platform for connecting Smart Phone with Microcontroller. Communication between Smart phone and Bluetooth will be Serial.
Latest projects on Internet of Things
Want to develop practical skills on Internet of Things? Checkout our latest projects and start learning for free
- Wi-Fi Module: ESP8266 Wi-Fi module is generally used to establish the wireless communication between the devices. But this module is not capable of 5-3V logic shifting and will require an external logic level converter.
- N-Channel Relay Module: The n-Channels Relay module’s operating voltage is 5V DC with drive current of 20mA.
This relay can be interfaced with many no. of microcontrollers such as Arduino, AVR, PIC, ARM and MSP430.
Here we use Arduino, because programming is not that much typical.
This relay module has ports “NC” abbreviated as “Normally connected to COM”, “NO” abbreviated as “Normally open to COM” and “COM” abbreviated as Common.
Along with these, there will be two types of LED’s, one is to show the power status of the board and other for showing the relay status.
Here “N” indicates the no. of relays on a single board.
We have 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12-Channel Relay Modules which are available in the market.
- Relay Module is interfaced with the appliance to be controlled
- Now the Bluetooth will be interfaced with relay module and micro-controller
- Once the interfacing is done, the Bluetooth Module is connected to the Bluetooth in the Smart Phone through Android app which is going to be developed by you
- Once Bluetooth connection is established, you can directly turn on/off the appliance using your own voice commands which are already defined in the coding while designing the app
- The data about all of this will be sent to the remote cloud for analysis
Did you know
Skyfi Labs helps students learn practical skills by building real-world projects.
You can enrol with friends and receive kits at your doorstep
You can learn from experts, build working projects, showcase skills to the world and grab the best jobs.
Get started today!
- Arduino IDE : You will be needing Arduino IDE software to write and upload the programming logic onto the Arduino/Genuino Uno board
- Thingspeak : Also, you need to create an account in the ThinkSpeak IoT platform to integrate the system onto the cloud and store the data online
Programming language: Arduino Programming (C++)Kit required to develop Voice Controlled Smart Home:
Technologies you will learn by working on Voice Controlled Smart Home:
Voice Controlled Smart Home